Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Mormons & Black Lib Theology


Mormons and Black Liberation Theology


As we draw closer to the end of the GOP Primary, one issue is bound to become a low blow. “He’s a Mormon”. I’m surprised at how many of my favorite people are members of the Mormon faith. Their character is impeccable. The person that truly turned my life around was Dr. Stephen R. Covey. His huge best seller “7 habits of highly effective people” was life changing for me. Before he achieved fame on Fox, and even before his show on CNN; I followed a Radio Talk show host named Glenn Beck. Beck converted when he married his wife. I use to listen to his syndicated show back in the mid 90’s. My favorite football player of all time (OK, besides Jerry Rice) would be Steve Young. I was a Steve Young fan even while I was friends with Joe Montana.

I won’t comment on either religion as I haven’t worshipped in either church. I know the church I was raised in would consider any religion other than them damned and destined for hell. Yes it’s a Christian fundamentalist church that claims every thing they practice is a “strict interpretation of the bible”. They would consider Mormons no different from Baptists who are no different from Buddhists or Muslims.

That being said, I don’t think I’ve ever had any president in my lifetime try and impose their religious beliefs on me. This current one may be imposing his religious influence on the whole country through executive power. You have to do a lot of research to even begin to understand where our president’s religion originated. (Black Power)

So I can’t judge the religions other than to say they’re both different from what I studied on Sunday. What I can say is that the Mormons that I have had the chance to meet and interact with are easily some of the finest and most trustworthy people I’ve ever met. I did try to come up with a list of notable members from each church. The bible says “You will know a tree by its fruit”.


MORMONS Notable Members

Mitt Romney – Presidential candidate, former Governor of Massachusetts
Stephen R. Covey – Best selling Author
Glenn Beck – Network owner, Talk show host
John Huntsman Sr. - Businessman
John Browning – Gun designer
Steve Young - Hall of Fame NFL quarterback

BLACK LIBERATION THEOLOGY Notable Members

Barak Obama 44th POTUS
Jeremiah Wright – Clergy 20 years for Barak Obama
James Cone – Founder of Black Liberation Theology
Fidel Castro – Cuban dictator
Che’ Guevara – Revolutionary mass murderer
Oprah – Network owner, Talk show host

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home