Monday, April 16, 2012

God Bless Obama, The Dodgers and other Enemies

I’m a born again Giants Fan. Yep. I was raised on Willie Mays (Met him several times) Willie McCovey, Dave Kingman, Ron Hunt, Hal Lanier, Jim Ray Hart, Ken Henderson, The Alous Trio, Bobby (NOT BARRY) Bonds, Juan Marichal, Gaylord Perry, and Dick Dietz.

In the early 70’s, Horace Stoneham had to deal with free agency as did all the ML general Managers. This changed the face of major league Baseball. Most teams started doing their own version of “Money Ball” out of necessity. As for “MY GIANTS” Willie Mays got traded to the Mets for Charlie Williams (WHO?) and $50,000. Willie was replaced by Gary Maddox who proved to have a decent career over the next 16 years, mostly with the Phils, but he basically kept centerfield warm for the supposed 2nd coming of Mickey Mantle from Oklahoma, a gentleman named “Bobby Murcer”. There is one truth in baseball, “potential” can not hit for you. The Giants have never had a centerfielder even come close to the caliber of Mays since he last grazed the centerfield grass of Candlestick Park in 1972. (But I digress)
The Fire sale continued as Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry was traded to Cleveland for “Sudden” Sam McDowell. (Who left his heart in SF and his pitching arm in Cleveland) Jim Ray Hart went to the Yankees, Ron Hunt went back to the Dodgers and Willie McCovey became the Big Mac, not because of his 6’4” 210 lbs, but because he was traded to San Diego (owned by Roy Krok/McDonald’s)
I recognized nobody. I did however live just minutes from the Oakland Coliseum. During the late 70’s the A’s were known as the “Boat People” of the American league. You could buy a 3rd deck ticket for about 3.00 bucks and sit right behind the plate. So my baseball paradigm changed in 1977. I learned to love Baseball, not just the home team. My kids were raised on green and gold and got to meet all of the players. I met Tony La Russa several times at his animal care foundation in Danville.
After the great 1988, 1989, 1990 Championships The A’s would exercise the principles of the book “Money Ball” and talent came and went. We as fans, knew never to get attached to great rookies because it was in the system to have their replacement groomed by the time they reached free agency status. Part of understanding Love is allowing the loved one the freedom to pursue greater opportunities in the free market.

By the end of the century, I had developed a love for the game.




I can watch any game on T.V. and tell you who the talent is, who the great prospects are and who’s probably going to be released or traded. But in doing so, I started to notice what intrigue I had for the San Francisco Giants minor league system. They had drafted young guns like Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Madison Bumgardner and of course “BUSTER POSEY”. They had just let go of their national embarrassment “Barry Bonds”. So in 2010, it was sort of OK to be a Giants fan again. I think many who left in 1973; then again in 2003 (Steroids) felt the air had cleared.
Love forces you to think about the big picture. My love for baseball doesn’t hinge on who the Giants or A’s sign or put on waivers. The Bible says Love covers a multitude of sins. Love also gives you an abundance of appreciation for that which you would otherwise consider miserable, painful, annoying and disgusting. John Lennon wrote: “All you need is Love”.
Paul wrote to the Corinthians:
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

What would the Giants be without the Bums. (The Dodgers) Would America have ever appreciated the free market, liberty, freedom and American exceptionalism had it not been threatened by Barack Obama? Many have said that John McCain would have lead us down a road of slow death. Obama's power grab is waking us up (Hopefully) in time to feel the boiling water. Unlike McCain who would have gradually increased the temperature of the water in the pot that killed the frog.

Have Love in your heart as well as your entire physical incarnated body. Then and only then will you enjoy life AND stand a little closer to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home