Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Facebook is 20/20


Just as hindsight is 20/20; Facebook accounts can either make you count your blessings or make you gnash your teeth. I wrote a blog entry about 6 years ago talking about the women in my life that were “special”. I don’t think Facebook was quite the attraction it is today, but that was a good thing in 2006.

Since then Facebook has added about 800 Million new accounts and several of the people on that list have had the courage to upload recent “profile pictures” (ah the good ol’ profile picture). I’m sure many of them are 10 years old, but it’s easy to tell how recent the profile pic is if they’ve uploaded other pictures of more recent events and you can’t really pick out which one is your old heart throb.

Since my blog article, I’ve been able to see pictures of about half of the people on that list. One who didn’t make that list turned out to be homosexual. (whew, it wasn’t me). One who was a real heart breaker just let things go and gave in to her hungry appetite and another who “was” a model is showing the results of long nights of partying and possibly serious drug and alcohol use. I was crushed because I thought I wasn’t good enough for either of them.

Sometimes God’s greatest blessings are unanswered prayers” – Garth Brooks

My point is our childhood/early adult insecurities are there to protect us. Unfortunately, I blame the divorce rate in America for casting these insecurities on our country’s youth. When you lose a parent by divorce or by death at a young age, you try to replace that person with someone else. This is such a natural but flawed response. The cycle of insecurity only propagates more insecurity and more divorce.

Parents, the best thing you can do for your children is to love each other. To those 30 and under who have been abandoned by a parent; there is nothing wrong with you. Focus on being the person God meant for you to be.



Ace out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home