Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Longest Yard 2005




I told myself I wasn't going to watch the new version of "The Longest Yard". I love the Burt Reynolds original from 1974. My friend Bill saw it when it came out and had the same "trepidation" I did. Why mess with a classic. I mean, why color Casablanca? And I'm not the biggest Adam Sandler fan either. And Adam Sandler looks nothing like an NFL quarterback. He doesn't even look like Jeff Garcia.

Burt Reynolds was indeed a running back for Florida State and looked the part in the original. Strangely enough; Burt is back in the new version as "Nate Scarborough".

But what I did enjoy about the new version was that they did make it a bit more realistic. For example, they had to get on a bus to go to the stadium. They had to pick locks to get into the film room. It had a bit more thought put into it. Chris Berman was a nice touch, but if Chris Berman starts covering prison games; you know ESPN is desperate.

Letting Burt Reynolds score the last touchdown was a nice touch. But still even with all the stars that had cameos in this movie. (and there were a multitude of them, everyone from Steve Austin to Michael "Do you know who I am?" Irvin was in it) I still think it was a waste of money.

Just another example of Hollywood unable to be original anymore.



Ace out...............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home