Monday, January 23, 2006

Meeting a Politician...............

In 1968, there was an election that changed my life as a child. It was the same year that a young Bobby Kennedy was murdered in Los Angeles by an Islamic terrorist Sirhan Sirhan. It was the year that Richard Milhouse Nixon was elected. It was a big year for politics. My father owned a little diner on the outskirts of town. It was a great restaurant that had many regulars. One of the regulars was John J. McFall. democrat congressman. Congressman McFall lived a few doors down from us. (my father and I) So it was quite a treat to get to talk to an important person in the field of politics. I was 12 in 1968 and I got very involved in helping his re-election campagn. Of course, I was a young democrat.

Winston Churchill wrote:"If you're not a liberal in your youth you don't have a heart. If you're not a conservative in your adult life, you don't have a brain".

I continued to be supportive of the civil rights movement at the time. But between the late 60's and the late 70's a change happened. America started addressing civil rights. Minorities and women starting getting equal rights. The problem was, the ACLU had outlived it's purpose. It had become a land mind that hadn't gotten diffused after the war.

Consequently, when I started paying real taxes and saw where my money was going, (during the Carter Administration) I changed allegiances and became a republican. I will indeed vote for a democrat if he's the right person, but it's hard for anyone these days to be a democrat and ignore the idiot Charles Schumers, Barbara Boxers, Dianh Feinsteins, Joseph Biddons, Nancy Pelosis,Ted Kennedys and Howard Deans of the party. The Democrats will never outright win another election until the thinking and mindset of these hippies change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home