Thursday, January 12, 2006

Meeting Stephen Covey......................



Back in 1995, I picked up a book that changed my life. I wanted to become successful. So while in Office Depot (of all places) I saw a book called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Written by Stephen Covey. In Stephen's book, he writes about the importance of Character (what you are) over Personality (what you do) . He said it was easy to change your personality. You could do it overnight. But to change your character takes courage and time.

Example; Character is what you do when nobody is looking, or you have nothing to lose. Personality is what you conciously tell yourself to do in a set situation to achieve a desired result. Character is what you are truly on the inside. Personality is what you choose to show people on the outside.

In 1997 I got a chance to meet Stephen Covey. I sat thru a wonderful speech that he gave for about 500 people, then I stood in line to shake his hand afterwards. Upon getting to meet him, I whispered to him "Thanks for changing my life". At which he responded by grabbing my hand back again and he looked me in the eyes and said " NO, Thank you".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home