Thursday, August 04, 2005

Dying in style.....................

Let's talk about the eminent. Death. From the day you're born, you take your first step towards death. It's gonna happen. To some it will happen sooner than others. For some that's a good thing, to others, this is all they have.

As I sit in judgment of the woman at Starbucks, (ya, I know I shouldn't) who couldn't possibly have another square inch of empty body mass to put a fat cell, I noticed the smile on her face as she inhaled a blueberry muffin or scone. Ya it's gonna kill her, but how precious the smile on her face. I see the joggers and bicyclist on Foothill expressway. Running to keep their bodies fit. And Jim Fixx comes to mind. Then I think of the subliminal message spoken by Robert Lamm in the Chicago hit "Does anybody really know what time it is". He says "We've all had time enough to die". You could be still born, aborted in the wound or live to be 110. I can't imagine that. Billy Graham the evangelist is making statements like "I'm ready to get out of this body". (God bless him) .

To quote my former drummer and long time friend Claud Kramer: "Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of ArrivingSafely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body,But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming: Wow.... What A Ride !!!"

The older I get, the more I agree. But at the same time, I have to agree somewhat with the words of the writer Woodrow Allen. "There are 2 types of people in the world. The horrible and the miserable. The horrible are the people that are born with no legs or blind; then there's everybody else.

Personally, I believe that life is a gift. I don't know how I got it (it may or may not have been my decision) but I'm stuck with it until I blow a blood vessel in my cortex. I don't want to go thru life worrying about things I can't change. I certainly don't want to go thru life miserable. So I try to stay in shape. But not at the cost of getting up at 5 AM to go jogging. But maybe if it means saying no to saturated fats and yes to things like fish and vegitables. Because I'm gonna be dead regardless. I just don't want to be miserable. I want to be able to sit in 1 chair at the theatre or in an airplane. I want to be able to get out of bed by myself. And as much as I was opposed to the state sanctioned killing of Terri Schiavo; I don't want to be kept alive artificially.

Life is a gift. The only thing you take with you to the next place, are your memories. One of my favorite lines from a movie is the prophetic line spoken by tramp as he's wining and dining Lady. He says "Let's start making some memories".

I believe in an after-life. It's been said that for non-believers, this is as close as they'll get to seeing heaven; and for Believers, this is as close as they'll get to hell. So don't take life as serious as you should your future.


Ace out..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home