Sunday, December 15, 2013

LOVE & BEAUTY

So I've been watching my collection of great Christmas Classics.  One thing we as a culture are able to do with digital technology is look people up on the internet.  Last night I was watching Christmas Vacation.  There is a beautiful girl that has a short role in the movie.  I thought she probably went on to become a supermodel.  But remember; National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was released in 1989.  That was 24 to 25 years ago. (depending on when they finished filming) The model in the movie is Nicolette Scorsese.  (an easy name to remember. Relative of producer Martin Scorsese?) So I looked her up on Google and was very disappointed to see what she looks like 24 years later. (I will cover Ms. Scorsese's transformation in another post) One thing that the 80's brought us were several beautiful actresses.  In the next few days I'll be giving you updates on these actresses "Then and Now".
The first installment, to the best of my knowledge has not done a Christmas movie, but she epitomizes the pitfalls of success.



It was 1982 and I was at a volunteer police athletic league charity baseball game in Oakland California.  I thought I was cool as I was sitting next to the girl that played the new Vulcan Officer in Star Trek's "The Wrath of Kahn".  She was really attractive in person but kind of slimy at the same time. 



Had I been single, I would have tried to get to know her. I also think she was dating "Hardy Boy" Parker Stephenson.  But she did something that I felt was really indicative of low self discipline. She was smoking and wearing really tight blue jeans.  In typical biker fashion, she flicked her cigarette ash on the palm of her hand and rubbed it into her jeans.  Like a smoker would do at someone's house without any ash trays.

Yuk!



Later, Ms. Alley starred in the hit TV show Cheers as "Rebecca Howe".  She was the "Sexy" manager of the establishment and the apple of Ted Danson's eye.  After Cheers ended, Kirstie Alley decided to give motherhood a try.  As she explained on many Daytime television talk shows like Oprah and Ellen, she really got into the family life.  This person that was rubbing cigarette ashes into her blue jeans was now into baking high calorie pastries like cakes and cookies. She also enjoyed consuming them as well.




I am not going to make cruel jokes and beat up on Ms. Alley because she's taken enough heat from the media and newspapers like the "National enquirer", "Entertainment tonight" and Oprah just to name a few.  To her credit; she's been a good sport about it.  In fact, she went on dancing with the stars and made a sincere effort to shed the weight.



The Moral of this story is; looks are not every thing, and above all, never fall in love using physical attraction as your marital compass.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home