Monday, October 30, 2006

Just like Me?

I was privelidged to hear a conversation between a radical Islamic middle easterner and a U.S. citizen. The question that left such an impact on me was "What's it like being muslim?" his answer; "We're no different from you. We just want riches, power and prestige."

I don't know why, but I've never yearned for riches, power or prestige. I've always wanted to be a great guitarist. And from the feedback I've gotten from guitarists that I esteem to be great, I've accomplished that. But I'm only semi famous, not rich by any means and only have power over my self.

But what will riches, power and prestige do for me in 100 years? As for riches, I suggest you read the book of ecclesiastes. Solomon, who was the richest by biblical standards said it was all vanities. And where is Willie the pimp going in his "Caddilac coffin"?

As for power and prestige; God is quoted as dispising one thing in particular...... pride. James writes in the 4th chaper and 6th verse of his book "God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.

I would not be telling the truth if I said I never wanted to be famous for my musicianship, but fame is not power nor prestige. Yet having read James 4:6, fame no longer motivates me. What motivates me at this stage of my life is trying to live a Godly life. Everything else is vanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home