Wednesday, September 08, 2010

ACE ANDRES on NO RESERVATIONS

On labor day I was in a TV Commercial for the TRAVEL CHANNEL singing a song I wrote about "No Reservation's" Tony Bourdain" All in all it aired about 16 times on Monday.




I caught the first airing of the commercial at 9:33 AM PST then another 10 times after that, Twice on the 100th episode then again on the repeat. Plus I'm sure I missed it on the first two episodes that were shown before I woke up. I was also told it would air over the whole Labor day week end. I didn't see it. (not until Monday) But it was a rush finally making the small screen and not just doing a commercial but playing my Gretsch 6120 and singing.

All kinds of crazy thoughts start running through your mind. I think of the lucky breaks that some musicians have had. Take the 4,5,6's for example. Quentin Tarantino was on a plane in Tokyo waiting to depart. He was told the departure would be delayed so he got off the plane and went into a gift shop. In the gift shop; the clerk was playing a bootleg tape she got from her friend's indie band. QT heard it and said:"Who are these guys"? A month later "those guys" were being screened tested in Burbank and later would appear on Kill Bill 1.

That's the sort of timing that I think is essential these days to be successful in the field of entertainment. Timing is not everything, but it's almost everything. In the 60's Dave Clark (namesake of the Dave Clark Five) Had no Idea how to drum. But he bought a set of drums and the rest is history and it happened lightening fast for him.

Meatloaf showed up for a job as a valet parking attendant. The producer of an audition next to the lot asked him if he was there for a job and Meat replied "Ya, Parking cars". The producer asked "Can you sing?" Meat said yup. Mr.Big said "Well you better hurry and get in line for the auditions. Tell them I said put you at the head of the line." A year later we had "Bat out of Hell".

Previously I blogged about Jimmy Buffet's interview. LUCK, TALENT and PERSISTENCE. Now days I think being discovered is so much harder because of the Internet. Sure you can get your face and song out there, but it's crammed into a small space of bandwidth with millions of other wannabes. I felt very lucky to be a part of Tony Bourdain's 100th episode celebration along with Marky Ramone. (what an honor) but that was 2 days ago. Today I'm back to being the same undiscovered talented player, singer, songwriter I've been for most of my life.

If I had it to do again? I'd probably repeat this ordeal because I love playing that damn instrument. I can't fly an F-15 but this is just as exciting. When I throw my head back and solo on my "Wolfgang" it's like putting the wings back and going vertical. It's like flying upside down. I can't explain it. But if you've ever seen me play, you know I'm spiritually someplace else. Maybe that's as good as it gets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home