Saturday, September 20, 2008

Artist who made me who I am today #3 RICK DERRINGER

HE was Johnny Winter for the middle of the road rocker. Truly one of the virtuoso Rockers of our time.

I always Identified with Rick Derringer because I looked like him. Then for years I played a BC Rick like Rick. Most of Rick's riffs, I believe he got from Johnny. Johnny however;plays with a thumb and finger picks. Rick plays with just a regular pick. When I was still playing drums, the guitarist I was playing with came to rehearsal one night and raved about this short sucker that blew his socks off.

A few months later All American Boy came out. Still one of what I feel is one of the top 5 guitar albums of all-time. It's up there with "Bridge of Sigh" by Robin Trower, "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani, "Are you Experienced" by Jimi, "August" by EC and 5150 by Van Halen.

Unfortunately, Dick Dale was not hip when ALBUMS were the thing or he would be in this list.

I was fortunate enough to meet and become friends with Rick. Some things I can't talk about. Some things I'm proud to talk about. For example how we both found Christ.

If you've never seen or heard of Rick Here's some vintage Derringer.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home