Friday, July 07, 2006

Life with Long Hair.....................

In the early 60's, the beatles were cool. Elvis was cool. What did they have in common? Long hair. My parents had me at the end of a long list of children. My mom had 5 children from her first marriage, then 2 with my father. I of course was born when my father was 50 and my mother was about 35. So they came from conservative America even by my standards. Those Beatles and their long hair was so "filthy" .


I remember going to the same barber that was 3 doors down from the dance studio we use to go to. (Tap dancing) I don't recall haircuts being something I didn't like until I saw the Beatles. All I remember is being told I had to get either a "butch" or a "Flat top". I also remember staring at those pictures of haircuts. You know, the "Ivy League", or the "Crew cut". etc...... I just remember that once my mon told me I could have my hair cut like Elvis's , but when my older brother took me, he made them give me a butch. I cried all afternoon. Especially after I got back and my mom said "I thought you were going to get your hair cut like Elvis'".

As the years went by, I continued have my hair cut more like the beav's. (leave it to beaver). And although the Beatles really began to grow their hair, and even Lawrence Welk sported side burns, my father felt that by keeping my hair short, he'd keep me straight and law abiding. Well, I grew up straight and law abiding, but very much spiteful of the barber and short hair. There was even a movie called hair.

In 1970, I think my father who was suffering health issues, had more important things to worry about than my hair, so I was able to let it sneak out over my ears in 72 and in 1973, I talked him into letting me grow it out just until the summer. And for one year in my childhood, I had shoulder length hair. 6 months later I would join the U.S. Navy and it would all be laying on a bootcamp barber's floor. It would remain short again for another 4 years.

In July of 1977, I achieved autonomy. My father (God rest his soul) died in 1976. So the only person that could tell me to cut my hair was me. So I don't think I got it cut for about a year. I met a real good hairstylest that enjoyed cutting really cool layers into my hair making it look like Farrah Fawcet Majors/Alice Cooper. Then we did the Paul McCartney "MULLET" for a short while, but then I sold out.

In 1981, I graduated from college and got a job as a Medical supply sales rep. So off came my long hair. Looking back, I was really miserable during those money grabbing days. (and I never really made the money my predecessors made) So after beating my shorthaired head against a sale career, I finally went back into the surgical field were I could get a steady paycheck and wear a "haircover" over my growing long hair.

My hair has been long, (past my shoulders) for about 8 years now. I always figured, I would cut it short once I went bald. But I guess Alopecia misses a generation. My brother, who was cruel to me as a child, ended up with it and is as bald as a cue-ball. Serves him right for not letting me get that haircut back in 63.

Small children are very intrigued by my presence. They don't know what to think. It never dawned on me that we've gone full circle back to where Men have short hair and women have long hair. It must be confusing for their little minds. Women look at me so perplexed. Sometimes I think it's envy. (my hair is really healthy and nice) Sometimes I think they're wondering if I make so much money that I can afford to be decadent or, am I so poor that I can't afford haircuts. My therapist says I do it to attract attention. (I disagree) I'm told that in my leather jacket, I look scary. I've been told by hairstylests that my hair is the only hair that's "fun" to cut nowadays.

The truth is, some people look good in short hair. I'm not one of them. It's like Michael Jordan and baldness. Michael Jordan makes Bald look very cool. Moreso than Yule Brenner or Kojak ever did. But some guys (most guys) that try bald, look like they're withstanding Chemo-therapy. Well that's me and short hair. I just don't have the versatility of Mel Gibson or Jon Bon Jovi.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home