Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Influence Part 8.......


No that's not me. Looks like me but it aint. I remember at the age of 16 being in a band and the other guitarist came home from a Johnny Winter concert and was just on fire about this kid named Rick Derringer. I had no clue. Then in 1973 an album came out called "All American Boy" that just kicked about every guitarist's ass at the time. Rick hit the TOP of the charts with Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo, (which I got to sing with Rick on stage) and had a number of follow up albums straight thru the 80's. Rick has gone thru several re-inventions which I feel is a mistake. He tried to be Stevie Ray in the late 80's early 90's. He went thru a buddy Holly thing at the turn of the millenium. And now he's sporting a Gretsch 6120 ala Brian Setzer. I wish Rick would stay the power pop shredder that influensed me 32 years ago. Rick and I have met several times since the early 70's. He's gone thru some very rough times and has finally found happiness. He's genuinely in love with his new wife. His new album Derringer X 2 can be bought at his website www.RickDerringer.com .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home