Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Ace Andres Band ROCKS LIKE A........

The unveiling of the new Ace Andres band was an event to remember. Seriously folks; have you ever had one of moments of no expectation to downright abuse anticipation? In Monterey,CA there's a club called "The Mucky Duck".

Let me frame this story if I may. About 9 Months ago (or less) Corrine and I were walking back to the car from having a fabulous 5 star Greek meal. OPAH. But we're walking down this sidewalk and we hear the most aweful dreadful "put it out of our misery" female singing "Born to be wild". It made me ashamed of being a musician. So needless to say, my impression of the Mucky Duck was one that "anyone" could get booked at.

Last week, Jack calls me up and says, He's got this gig at the Mucky Duck. Jack plays drums for blind melton chitlan or some blind guy like that. And I basically answered, WTF. Kids don't ask your parents.

So with memories of the worst garage band ever coming from this place, I had low to bad expectations. And especially after the previous gig with this band (sort of, minus the bassist) which was as fun as having an eye block. I didn't tell anyone I was playing there. I did it for the money and only the money. Actually, I told Corrine and Bill my best friend, I was doing it for my pride. Unusually, this gig started at 5pm and lasted until 8:30. I was slightly concerned because the new bassist Chris Daniel didn't know a lot of the songs. He learned them all since he met me. I told Chris and it's worth repeating, "Chris, I applaud you" He hung in there and put up with my creative whims all night. One time I really thought he was going to walk off the stage was when we went to do our last song, Rocking in the Free world. And I told Jack and Chris, OK, I'll start it off. Then I started playing "Old Man" by Neil Young. I did almost the whole song and at bridge it goes into an E minor, which is what Free world starts in. Chris had no Idea what the hell I was doing and the place went ballistic.

I did an encore of "Helpless" (another song Chris had never heard)lol....

But anyway, the whole night was just incredible. It was an outdoor gig too. So it just so happened that Clint Black was in town. 2 of his roadies were taking a dinner break and heard the rocking. They came in and said that they tour all over the country and haven't been rocked like that ever, anywhere. Well they'll have good memories of Monterey.

Jack was firing on all pistons as well. It's safe to say that word will spread of this show. It was packed. It was one of those gigs when you didn't have time to talk to all the people that wanted to talk to you.

Again, thank you to Chris and Jack for the hard work that paid off, and thank you Monterey for making this Bay Area Transplant feel at home.


Ace Out.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home